Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Reading Material for Doctor's Visits

The other morning I began to wonder if God was secretly preparing me for some kind of strange medical transport ministry. Why? Because it seems all I've done in the past eight weeks is drive my kids to medical appointments. And cram my work in, in between. To the orthodontist. To the dentist. To x-rays and ERs. To orthopedists and neurologists. And so often to the family doctor that he recently joked that I'd won a free set of dishes for our frequent visits. To talk about warts and acne and migraines and sinus infections and broken bones. I can honestly say I've never had an eight weeks like the past eight weeks. It's a good thing gas prices have been dropping. I'll apply the savings to all the medical bills that should start showing up in our mailbox any day now.

Anyway. This seems to have left me a bit...irritable. So it might be best if for today I hold my tongue and just let you in on the books I'm reading these days. Of course, I'm doing most of that reading while we wait in waiting rooms. Hopefully you'll let me know what you're reading these days, or what you've recently read, or what you're hoping to read soon. I tend to read a few books at one time, so here's my current list:

Walking with God by John Eldredge. I highly recommend this. Eldredge is so honest about the thoughts in his head and has a great way of talking about his relationship with God without using super Christian words.

Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. This is...devastating. Scheff's journey through his son's addiction to meth. This book got me through our ER visit on Monday after Son3 hurt his elbow (which may or may not be broken -- we still don't know!).


Mr. Popper's Penguins
by Robert and Florence Atwater because Son2 is reading it right now for homeschooling. I haven't gotten too far, but it seems like a cute story about a penguin living in someone's refrigerator. Too bad my son's not enjoying it.


A Member of the Family
by Cesar Millan (aka the Dog Whisperer). Just started it and already I feel I've learned some important things about living with a dog.

The Shack by William Young. It seems everyone is reading this book. I probably won't have much to say about it until I finish it. What I can say right now is that I'm glad this author is enjoying such success, but I think it's really poorly written. Which just goes to show that some books succeed despite the writing.

Soon I'll be starting a book I'm really looking forward to: Farm Sanctuary: Changing Hearts and Minds about Animals and Food by Gene Bauer.

There's nothing I love more than book recommendations, so I hope you'll post yours here.

7 comments:

peaj said...

I'm currently reading Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds, and loving it. It's a great science fiction story. It's a continuation of the author's earlier book Revelation Space. However, I'm starting to get that sinking feeling that there is no way that the author can wrap up this story in the amount of book that is left.

I hardly ever read nonfiction in dead tree form, except for a few magazines.

Jessica said...

Hey Nina--I hope that Son2's elbow is not broken...how's he doing?

I am currently reading Brysinger by Christopher Paolini. It's the third book of the Eldest series and honestly, I really like it a lot. Reminds me of both Tolkien and Lewis...very fantasy-world with elves, dwarves, dragons, magic, all that good stuff.

Michele said...

Hi Nina - I'm not reading anything right now, but I want to read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski and The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. The guy who wrote Marley and Me also has a new book out that I would like to read. Of course, I will probably steal some of your recent reads as well :)

Jessica said...

Ooh--he has a new book out?!?! i LOVED Marley and me;-)

Nina said...

Peaj, I guess it looks like you'll be reading another sequel... I read a lot of nonfiction online as well...but I find myself increasingly reading it in book form.

Michele -- I'm so glad you mentioned Marley and Me. I've never read it, but I've meant to for quite a while now and keep forgetting.

Jess -- My oldest finished Brysinger a few weeks ago. I actually haven't read them because I got part way through the first and put it down for some reason. I always find it hard to pick things back up. But I've been thinking I should give it another try.

laura said...

I am beginning the journey of Swann's Way, by Marcel Proust. I had it recommended to me a couple of years ago and I procrastinated reading it.

It is good so far.

Nina said...

Laura, thanks for the recommendation. Let me know what you think of it when you're done.