Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Icebreaker Questions

This past weekend we had a women's conference at our church, and I was asked to provide ten icebreaker questions to use during lunch. I took the lazy way out and found most of them online. Here are six of them and then my answers.

1. What is the worst summer or part-time job you ever had?

2. I'm most aware of God's presence when ______________________.

3. The hardest thing I have ever done was ____________________________.

4. The greatest compliment I ever received was_______________________.

5. If you could have had the starring role in one film already made, which movie would you pick?

6. If a movie were being made of your life and you had to choose an actor or actress to play you, who would you choose and why?


Answers:
1. The worst part-time job I ever had was at a gourmet cheese and pastry shop in Washington, D.C. The cheese smelled dreadful, the roaches were plentiful, and there were a lot of rats around the dumpster each night when we had to take the trash out.

2. I'm most aware of God's presence when I read the Bible and it just clicks or when some ridiculous "coincidence" happens and I know it's God.

3. The hardest thing I have ever done was take care of a super colicky baby when I had post-partum depression.

4. The greatest compliment I ever received came from one of my college English professors when he told me he thought I could be a professional writer someday.

5. If I could have had the starring role in a film already made, I would want to play Arwen in Lord of the Rings. The thing is, I don't really just want to play Arwen, I think I'd like to be her.

6. If a movie were made of my life...well, I pity the poor sucker who'd go to see such a movie. I actually have no idea who to choose to play me. Not a clue. But I'd love to know who you all would want to play you in a movie.

Okay, these questions are ridiculous, but I hope you play along.

4 comments:

peaj said...

1. The worst was when I was part of the summer cleaning crew for my high school. We washed all the walls, scrubbed every toilet, cleaned every light bulb, and removed the sawdust from the hoods in the shop. After the latter, I sneezed dark for days. All for less than $2 an hour!

2. When I have a prophetic word for someone else.

3. Keep it together when it seemed like I was losing my wife to depression and I didn't know how to fix it.

4-6 No answers.

Jessica said...

1. My worst job ever was when I was a waitress at Grotto Pizza. For two days. I really hated, though, because it felt like you were just another cog in the wheel; I couldn't talk to people much or really be personable. Later when I worked at Brew-ha-ha it was much better because I felt like there was room to get to know the patrons and really talk to them.

2. I am most aware of God's presence when I am creating, I think--writing, dancing, writing a song, playing the piano...
3.The hardest thing I have ever done was to leave for Korea for two months just after I had gotten married. Saying that good-bye to Drew broke both of our hearts, I think. I get teary-eyed thinking about it, still.
4. Not sure. I've been blessed with a lot of different kinds of encouragement...Recently my music director in A Chorus Line heard some of my own music for the first time and told me it moved him to tears because it made him think of his relationship with his partner. That meant a lot to me.
5.I would want to play Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. I have always wanted to play Juliet for some reason.
6.I am not sure who would play me...But I think that Wynona Ryder could play you, Ninap;-)

Jessica said...

*I meant to write Nina (I realize there is no silent "p" at the end of your name!)

Nina said...

Peaj--I feel like there's nothing worse than when a loved one is going through something and you can't change it or go through it for them.

Jess--That must have been a wonderful feeling to receive that compliment from your music director. Wow. What more could you ask as a musician?
As for who could play you -- well, Cameron Diaz of course! (With her hair cut and dyed.) Though...I don't know whether she can sing and dance...