Wednesday, March 10, 2010

High, Low

My thoughts seem pretty disjointed these days. I think about blogging, and then I...don't. So it seemed like the perfect time for High, Low -- the kind of post that doesn't call for thoughts that actually flow together. So here's a few of my recent highs and lows.

High: I got some really cute pictures of the little buddy when I had my latest ultrasound. He looks like Son2, which means I think he looks adorable. Son2 looked at the picture and announced that his brother looks like a pear. Son1 looked at it and said, "He looks like an old man." And I said, "Exactly. That's how your brother looked when he was born."
Low: Still going for ultrasounds every week, and I find the waiting room depressing. So many young, single moms. So many people who make me feel a deep concern for their children's future. Like the couple due any day whose baby weighs less than three pounds and whose toddler runs around the waiting room, drinking some thick pink concoction from her bottle. They call her "Crazy," as in, "Get over here, Crazy." "Don't do that, Crazy." I just want to run out of that waiting room and never look back. I realize this sounds judgmental, but I bet you'd sound the same way if you had to sit in that waiting room.

High: This little dude is coming out soon.
Low: My body has never hurt so much. I literally feel like I won't make it.
Other Low: We still don't have a crib set up...or well, anything set up.

High: There are green things shooting up in my yard.
Low: It's supposed to rain for days, and that means it's going to get really muddy.

High: We've been watching American Idol.
Low: We've been watching American Idol. Is it just me, or is this the least talented group of finalists ever?

High: The little dude supposedly weighs five pounds now.
Low: I've gained more weight so far than I wanted to gain for the whole pregnancy.
Other Low: Everywhere I go, people say annoying things. Why is a pregnant woman's body open season for comments? I mean, if you can't tell me I look great, then just don't say anything. An older gentleman (and I use the term lightly) said to me yesterday in the grocery store, "Due any day now, huh?" I just smiled and thought, "Nope. Due in a month, idiot."

Alright, if I'm being honest, I'm a little more focused on the lows right now -- like the fact that my butt is actually asleep from sitting in this chair too long. The ongoing high is that this baby looks healthy and that we're all excited for his arrival. But the lows keep presenting themselves -- mainly the small physical complaints that accompany the end of any pregnancy, and that seem particularly acute when, like me, you're on the higher end of the age range for childbearing. I literally walk around the house moaning. At times, anyway. So one of your highs should be that you don't have to live with me. Any other highs or lows you'd like to share?

5 comments:

peaj said...

High: The thought of you pregnant makes me smile and happy. I'm excited for you guys!
Low: The guy who tried to make a pleasant connection with you failed so badly. I think that people break the "stranger barrier" because pregnant women (and babies, too) are so wonderful. But the fact that we respect the stranger barrier in our society means that we don't know how to break it tactfully.

The Crazy name is - well, crazy. Unless it's spelled Karazzee or something like that.

I'd like to tell you to not be concerned about your weight, but I will leave that to your medical professional. ;-)

Becca said...

I love that you think in terms of highs and lows... I often ask my students to reflect on them and share. I do it all the time, too.

High: It has been the most beautiful weather the last few days and it is sinking in to my bones.

Low: I have missed being outside for most of this beautiful weather because I've been inside doing conferences. Conferences for kindergarteners seems as if it must be its own low.

Low: Teaching kindergarten is boring AND it is apparently so painful for my students because there are so many demands on them now! I feel so terrible for them! No dress up box, no kitchen set, no toys, no sand table-- and the impending threat of no blocks... and to add insult to serious injury, homework! It's no wonder their parents are so worried and cranky at these conferences.

High: I cannot wait for spring! I can taste it. I am so excited! I'm looking forward to the weekend and my respite away from real life. Amazing what the prospect of having something to look forward to will do for your psyche. A little visit with my cousin who's home from college, a visit with my favorite aunt who's expecting a baby!! I'm hoping my aunt will let me help her set some things up... I hear she's exhausted with miles to go before she sleeps.

Low: People who make it very hard on their children in kindergarten because they give them "Scrabble names." (You know... it is as if they were playing Scrabble and decided to make up a name with their seven letters. Poor kid never had a chance!)

Emily said...

Oh, Nina waiting rooms are serious lows. Parents do some seriously nonsensical things, too.

The high about newborns is that they are super portable, they can sleep with you (or in the top of a pack'n'play), and other than diapers and some clean clothes they really don't need much. We have always kept the baby stuff to a minimum due to lack of space, and I am thankful to have been forced to keep it simple. Not that I am telling you anything you don't already know!

Yeah, the rudeness of people when you are pregnant and leave the house! At 6 months people (men mostly!?) would use that "any day now, huh?" line on me, and I would force a smile and say, "no, 3 months to go..." then they would invariably say, "what, you havin' twins?" seriously people, leave me the hell alone. You would never have said a word to me if Dan were shopping with me. And yes, I am having twins, not that is it remotely your business!

By the way, my email is costa106@comcast.net. send me your address, if you wouldn't mind. I have a hat for your little munchkin:)

Jessica said...

High: Nina looks absolutely beautiful.
Low: people can say some really dumb things.

My high: I worked pretty hard tonight, choreographing and teaching, and it felt really good.
Low: I accidentally wore almost a completely blue outfit to teach in, which annoyed me enough cause I don't like to match like that--and then I looked down and noticed the color I just painted my toenails: yep, blue. Uffda.

Nina said...

Peaj -- you are always so kind and willing to see things in a non-judgmental light! And help me to see them that way too.

Beccs -- Conferences for kindergarteners sounds like quite a low. Ugh.

Emily -- you are so right! About waiting rooms and everything. Especially about keeping it simple. That is a wonderful blessing that comes with having a smaller space to live in. It is one of our #1 goals not to acquire much stuff! But a hat for the munchkin! I'll send our address immediately. :)

Jess -- You should know that I'm accepting all compliments these days. Thank you. And let me say that one of my highs at church on Sunday was your red plaid pants! Loved them.