Saturday, March 20, 2010

Mood Swing

Yesterday morning I was sitting with my husband before I had to leave for...yes...yet another doctor's appointment. He had received a facebook message from his aunt and was reading it to me. When he finished, he commented on the way that people of his aunt's generation use facebook. This got me thinking about my mom. I wondered out loud if she would have learned to use facebook in order to keep up with her grandkids. I think she would have, though she would have been utterly baffled by it. I know that her grandkids were the reason she learned to use email.

Anyway, I suggested this possibility to my husband, and he proceeded to do a spot-on imitation of her with with her glasses and the way her hands would have flitted across the keyboard and how surprised she would have been by the whole thing. I laughed out loud, a completely delighted laugh. Son2 walked in the room and said, "That was a great laugh." But by the time he said that, I was crying. Tears were rolling down my cheeks because somehow, my husband's imitation had captured her so vividly. It was like seeing a disintegrating snapshot of all that was so funny and wonderful about her.

So I cried, because she is not here, and we will miss all the delight and laughter she would have brought to this crazy situation -- the birth of this unexpected boy, which will happen within days of the birth of what would have been her first great grandchild (my nephew and his beautiful wife are expecting their first baby just two weeks before ours.) All of that delight will be missing. We will talk about it, I know. We will imagine how it would all be even better with her here, but that obviously falls far short of the reality.

So I sat on the couch trying to swallow my tears and my feelings and forget about it. And then from the other room, Son3, who has been listening to this unfold, pipes up and says: "Was that a mood swing?"

And then I was laughing agin.

10 comments:

Thinking Out Loud said...

Yes, that was a classic mood swing!
What a bittersweet and beautiful post.

Thinking Out Loud said...

OH MY GRACIOUS! I can't believe I FINALLY got on!! Woo hoo!

Emily said...

Hormones are a wonder... speaking of wonder, I wonder if my mood swings will ever even out?

Not that I would chalk up your very valid emotions to hormones alone, of course. And kids have the most wonderful way of making things fresh, don't they?

Michele said...

So funny and so poignant all at the same time :) I love you Nina - mood swings and all!

Jessica said...

you have such a way of capturing a scene and putting us right there...I love to read your posts, Nina. And I am so sorry your mom isn't here to welcome your littlest boy...

Nina said...

Thank you friends. I was hoping to give you a little chuckle...And though it is sad that my mom won't be here, I feel very grateful that many people are excited about welcoming this baby into the world.

And Kathie...I can't believe you finally got on! So weird.

peaj said...

Sweet post. I like how you were able to capture what was going through your mind during the mood swing.

It is amazing how proteins in our blood can alter our perception of reality, isn't it? Even something so "fundamental" as whether something is a glad or sad event. Makes me think that scriptures like "be thankful in all things" aren't so far-fetched after all.

Unknown said...

Nina....I know many people are here to welcome your little boy...but no one takes the place of your Mom. And while you will press on and take it all in stride...I know there will be more tears of sadness and joy.

Becca said...

Well versed in my own mood swings, though not pregnancy induced, I can sympathize. I was trying to imagine what Granny's facebook status updates would be:

GrammyGirl is looking for a spoon for the hot fudge.

Wendy is out shopping for Christmas.... she knows it's July... she's just prepared.

Gran is so excited to meet the new babies!

She would have learned to use facebook, just like Dad taught her how to use email when I went off to college. How she would have enjoyed all the pictures and silly messages back and forth! She was fearless... sometimes... even to the point of riding on a jetski... though not as far as braving the mice.
These legendary stories will still be in the fabric of baby#4's life and he'll get to know her that way.

Nina said...

Peaj, you are so right...and being thankful in all things...yes

Mandy, it is true. She is irreplaceable.

Beccs...LOL! Those are just the kind of status updates she would post. That cracked me up.