Monday, February 8, 2010

All that Gets Undone

I am weirdly obsessed with fruit right now, and I have been for the past seven months. Apples. Endless apples. But also grapes, oranges, and mangoes. Every piece of fruit I eat seems like the best fruit I have ever had. In the past month I can't seem to eat enough mango. Too bad enjoying a piece of fruit can't be something I check off the to-do list that grows longer with each day.

I'm having so much trouble accomplishing anything lately that if I felt more energetic, I'd be near despair. Fortunately, I don't seem to have enough energy for despair. So I just kind of wander about my house, noticing all that I should do -- clean the kitchen, put things away, wash more clothes, make some space for the baby -- something, anything. Instead, I often just sit back down and somehow manage to avoid the work that awaits me on the computer. Actual clients who want things from me. I get their work done, but it feels like I just barely do.

Here's the trouble. My drug of choice is usually the drug of getting something done. Let me accomplish something, anything, and I will likely feel a little better. But I'm not accomplishing much these days, and I don't recognize myself. Tonight I had to call my friend, my pecan sandie best friend, to try to restore myself, to find a way to feel like me. Hearing her voice helped.

Because we have weirdly parallel lives and a few of the same frailties, she told me that lately she is consciously trying to spend more time doing things that can't be undone. She says she spends too much time doing all the things that get undone -- namely, the household chores that dog her hours when she's not at work teaching high school English. She says she's trying to take more time for things like laughing with her girls, reading a book, walking the dog, and even taking a nap -- things that she says can't be undone.

After we talked, I ate a mango and read a chapter of the book I've been slowly enjoying lately: Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott. Enjoying a mango can't be undone. According to the ultrasound I had today, this little dude has gained a pound in the past two weeks. (I won't mention how much I've gained.) I savored the mango and tried to find a way to live with myself as I am right now -- a person who accomplishes much less than usual. I tried not to wonder if I'll ever be myself again. I did wonder how I would ever find the energy to clear out some kind of space for baby clothes and diapers. I thought about the process of partially dismantling Son1's very small room to make way for a crib, because that is where this kid will have to sleep -- in a room with his oldest brother. I thought about the process of baby proofing this very un-baby-friendly house.

I didn't proceed to actually do anything, but I did enjoy that mango and the chapter that I read. Then I played a few rounds of Boggle with Son3.

I expect that sometime in the next nine weeks we'll bring this little fellow home -- it will happen whether I ever actually find a place for the baby clothes, whether my husband sets up the crib, and whether I finish my work. Of course, I may very well get organized and find a place for the baby clothes and diapers, my husband will likely set up the crib, and surely I won't let my clients down. Right? I hope so. Nevertheless, I will keep eating fruit and this kid will keep packing on the pounds, and I expect that won't be undone.

8 comments:

Emily said...

aaahhhh, things getting undone is the source of all my angst. Ok, maybe not ALL of it, but a large portion. I begrudge the time spent washing clothes that will magically dirty themselves and be crumpled on the floor tomorrow, and the dishes that just won't stay clean! Darn it all, I need a new perspective.

Nina said...

Emily -- I know, it can cause a lot of angst...because it never, never stops. And you can't actually ignore those things completely. So you're right -- a new perspective is needed, because the facts don't change!

Emily said...

It's good to know that it sticks in other craws than my own.

peaj said...

Kid, you are working on one of the ultimate making of something that doesn't get undone: growing a human life. No one else can do it. Give yourself credit that each moment of each day you are adding to the health and growth of this unique little life. It counts!

Oh, and teach your kids to do their own laundry.

Michele said...

Nina, I think, I hope, it is something in the air, because I have been saying the very same thing lately - I just don't want to do anything. I can think of a million things I could do, but I just can't get the motivation to do them. That being said - I would LOVE to come help you make a space for your baby boy - call me!

Nina said...

Peaj, you're right about the laundry. It's on the agenda of things to accomplish. And thanks for the encouragement.

Michele, be careful what you offer! :)

Michele said...

If you really love me, you'll call me :)

Nina said...

Michele :) ...You're a good friend.