Friday, November 7, 2008

A Lazy Post

I'm experiencing blogger's guilt for whatever reason. It's only been two days, hardly enough to feel guilty about, but that's how I am. My husband likes to remind me that I would have made a wonderful Catholic. Undoubtedly.

But my mind is feeling dull, perhaps some strange side effect of not being overwhelmed by work. Who knows. So my lazy post is a poem that I wrote forever ago. I thought of it the other day when the yellow leaves on the tree that overshadows the front of our house made a golden glow of sunlight in our living room. Not that the poem is about our living room. That could be strange. But it is about fall.

BTW, I don't love the ending. It feels a bit abrupt, which I think I recently said about one of my other poems. Guess I need to work on that!

Woods Walk

I smelled death that day
the sweetness of rotting layers
of leaves becoming dirt
all that was once green
fallen
growing richer still

and smoke too
the fragrant offering of Autumn
filling our nostrils
with the passage to dormancy

I heard our feet crunching
stirring up the layers
your legs kicking up joy
laughter punctuating the silence
of that canopied sanctuary

I saw the eerie illumination
sunlight filtering through orange and red
three small bodies
glowing with me
in the smoky silence

feast for the senses
this walk in our gullied woods
sacred communion deepened
by the flash of a bounding stag
we tracked his footprints
headed for home

2 comments:

Jessica said...

it's so beautiful, Nina. You are really talented.

Becky said...

Oh, I Love it!!! It's like every warm and yummy fall walk i've taken with my boys. the crunching the peace the smells the visions.