Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day at Last

I confess, some days I actually thought we'd never make it to this day -- like this election would always exist as some point in the not-so-distant future and I would be caught in some kind of news purgatory. No matter what happens, I don't think there is a person out there who won't be glad it's over. Finally.

Another confession: I am nervous today. I went to vote early, hoping to try to forget about the whole thing for the rest of the day. I will not turn on my TV until late tonight, and I'll avoid the news sites I normally drift to at some point during the course of the day. Instead I'll keep in mind the song I was listening to on my way home from voting: Joshua Radin's "Everything Will Be Alright." I sat in the car until the song was over, watching the sparrows flitting around in my neighbor's bushes. The sparrows and the song were just what I needed to remind me of the true nature of reality. As another one my current favorite songs says, "The world spins madly on..." and it will keep doing so no matter who comes out on top. But I will be breathing a big sigh of relief tomorrow if the world in spinning madly on with Obama as our new president.


*****

On an entirely different note, I retract my previous comments about The Shack. Well, sort of. I maintain that the first few chapters are a real drag. They are not well written, but that is all forgotten once you get past them. In the chapters that follow the author does a great job, and he makes a lot of thought-provoking points.

I finished Beautiful Boy, and I highly recommend it to anyone who knows and loves an addict. David Sheff writes eloquently of the anguish and the unknowing...the ups and downs...the letting go. I'm sure I'll have more to say about this, but for now I'm going to go ignore the news.

2 comments:

peaj said...

It's a race! Who will win? who? So exciting!

Glad you are going to make it!

I'll have to scare up a copy of The Shack, I guess.

Jessica said...

O*B*A*M*A

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!