Monday, March 3, 2008

Aging

Apparently we've reached that point in our lives when not only do we have children to take care of, but we have aging parents to worry about. Many of our friends do too.

Aging is a remarkable thing. When my mother died, my father, who was 74 at the time, seemed so young. And as a widower, he's kept busy — with traveling, golf, dinner dates, attending little league and soccer games, and ferrying grandchildren here and there. But something has happened in the past year or so. I met him for lunch the other day. His hands now shake when he reaches for things. He's 80, and he seems...old.

On the other hand, we have my mother-in-law. She's considering having her boyfriend, who she's been seeing for no more than six weeks, move in with her.

I think we need a little help over here.

2 comments:

Becky said...

It's a strange thing, aging. I have always been completely terrified of it for myself. As I get older, I'm less afraid. But it is scary to watch a parent cross over and through those stages into what is visible to us as "aging". My dad forgets things, has trouble hearing, and falls asleep while sitting on the couch for more than 10 minutes. It's hard to think about taking care of a parent when sometimes I barely feel like a grown up myself!

merry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.