Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Does Simon Listen to the Radio?

Lately I've been having trouble coming up with blog material. Things fall into my head to write about, but never at a time when I might actually do some blogging. Then, when I have a moment, I literally can't think of one thing I'd like to write about. Or, I think of something, but I know it might be annoying to read about. My opinions on political candidates, for instance, or how apalled I was to see that video on TV of cows being pushed by bulldozers in a slaughterhouse. So, I will return to American Idol...for now.

My question is this: Do Simon and Co. ever listen to the radio? Do they ever listen to anything but seriously over-produced cookie cutter muzak? I think what fascinates me most about American Idol is how unlikely it it to produce someone who will actually write and perform some great music. You think about enduring Rock legends, and how they could never meet Simon's approval if they were to try out for American Idol. Bob Dylan. Neil Young. Even Bruce Springsteen.

Frankly, when it comes down to it, a "singing" competition is kind of boring because who really listens to music for the perfect quality of the singing? If you're looking for that, I guess you listen to Celine Dion or you take a trip to Broadway or to the opera. Anyone who is a bit more "artistic" just doesn't have a chance. Like last night, the guy with the dreads, I thought he was good...like something I might actually listen to, and he got the thumbs down from the judges. I also thought the way they didn't let the little guy with the sad story (who lived in his car) into the top 24 was completely lame. That boy appeared to me to be an actual musical and artistic talent — with charisma no less. Charisma — something that Simon talks a lot about but apparently can't recognize in its genuine form.

Simon also blasted some guy last night for his pre-performance video. I missed his video, but I guess he described himself as a "word nerd" who loves to do crossword puzzles. Simon, who never misses a chance to remind us that this is a SINGING competition, told the guy he didn't do himself any favors with his video -- basically because words are so uncool. Hello? What about the SINGING competition? And furthermore, I guess Simon thinks that all music consumers are people who can't imagine a musician who doesn't conform to all the stereotypes. So, the mindless massess will love a rock 'n' roll dude who drag races (that's authentic!) but we can't love one who likes words. What would we listen to if Simon didn't tell us what to like?

Of course, I'm a fan of words, and of word nerds, so I thought this was pretty offensive. But the whole AI thing is funny. Most of the music I listen to doesn't feature singers who actually sing all that well.

Still, that little buddy, David Archeletta (?), is an incredible singer. He sang "Imagine" last night, and it was way better than the John Lennon version. Of course, I actually hate all of John Lennon's music.

Anyway, a little dose of AI, which I genuinely enjoy, and it's easy to see why the music industry sucks so much. I'm glad I've never been in the unenviable position of being a musical artist trying to make it in the ugly world of the music industry. Watch those judges and the way they caprciously apply their little set of rules (be relevant, be yourself, don't change a great artist's song, make it your own, don't be arrogant, be confident, etc., etc.) and you get a sense that a bunch of kooky Greek gods rule the music industry.

2 comments:

merry said...

Hmm. What did you think about last night's eliminations. I personally don't like the girl that tries to be a hard core rocker with the skunk hair. I thought she was really bad the other night. I wish she would have gone.

Emily said...

I am reading blogs while waiting for my girls to get hungry enough to actually eat their breakfast. I agree with Merry - didn't enjoy the skunk hair song. that is so true about singing ability - passion is so much more compelling. However, singing does count for something. Look at Van Halen - that band should never have existed ( just an opinion!). And Travis and Keane, they've got gooood singers. I guess the American Idol producers just want to generate more top 40 boredom!