Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Moon

So, despite the title of my blog, I never seem to talk about the faith part here. There's no particular reason for this, but, being me, I actually feel guilty about this. Like I should retitle my blog because I'm not living up to it. I probably won't do that. Instead I'll talk about something I've been contemplating for the past few days.

When I was in church on Sunday I got this idea in my head about how God is the center of the universe and that all creation orbits around him. All humans do, even if they don't know God or acknowledge him. I started thinking about whether I thought this was really true or if it was just a demented idea I was having. I decided that I think this is really how it is. We all orbit him like planets, and he is the great sun. He's so powerful and magnetic, there's no way to escape and no way for us to fall out of orbit. The only thing up for grabs is whether we reflect him or not -- whether we show him our backs or our faces.

When we choose to believe in this ultimate reality, we turn our faces to him and we begin to reflect him. If we choose not to believe, our backs are turned. We're not gazing into love or into ultimate truth. So these were my thoughts on Sunday. Yesterday I was reading Psalm 89. Verse 37 calls the moon the faithful witness in the sky. I thought that was so cool. And it made me think that when we look at God, we witness him. That simply by turning our faces to him, we are witnesses to his glory.

This is the kind of thought that can captivate me. I'll probably think about it for weeks. Is that weird?

By the way, tonight there will be a total lunar eclipse. The last one until 2010.

4 comments:

merry said...

Oh my gosh what a wonderful thought. I believe you are right and I am going to contemplate it more.

Emily said...

I love this idea - it is so beautiful. I am happy to have found your blog! reading back a few posts, too, I really appreciate your thoughts on your children's talents, and the distribution of them between the three... I am so scared, with twins, that there could be an unequal distribution, or an unhealthy level of competition... but they are 15 months, I guess I can let the worries rest for a bit!

Becky said...

I like to read your blog. It's funny how you can know someone and then read just a bit of what pours out of their heart and mind and learn things you never knew.

This is a lovely metaphor of God's place in eternity, and our place in relationship to Him.

Nina said...

Emily! I'm glad you found it too...Twins girls, yes. Complicated indeed. My oldest friend, who is like a siter to me, has three girls -- the same ages as my boys. The oldest has just hit her teens, and it IS complicated. Can't quite imagine with twins, but fortunately you have some time. We know twin 12-year-old boys and they're both amazing soccer players. Hopefully your girls will each have something they love to do.