Monday, March 17, 2008

Amusing Observations

You may not know this about me, but one of the things I actually like most about myself is that I'm easily amused. Now, I'm not sure whether this is truly an admirable quality, but it does make life better. Heaven knowns the small things can often make life worse -- cat poop in the bathtub drain, a dog that needs to be let out to pee at 3 a.m., or someone crying in the morning before school because they "forgot" to finish their homework. If such small things can send a day on a downward trajectory, you better hope some small things can help propel it in a happier direction. And this is why I think it's good that I'm easily entertained.

I am definitely an observer. I should have followed my journalistic calling because observation seems to be one of the things I most excel at. But since I'm not using my powers to report on world events, I do use them for my own entertainment. Here are a few small, amusing observations I've made lately:

Yesterday, in the grocery store parking lot, I noticed a truck with a bumper sticker, which I thought said, "Vegetarian." I was surprised, because you don't see many people around here proclaiming their commitment to vegetarianism. You especially don't see it on the back of pickup trucks. They're more likely to have this bumper sticker: "Vegetarian: Indian word for bad hunter." So I looked a little more closely at the truck with the sticker, and I had it wrong. The bumper sticker actually said, "Vaginatarian." And I thought that was pretty funny.

In the same grocery store parking lot, I recently saw a general contractor's truck with lettering on the side. It said: "McQuitty Contracting." Honestly, if your name was McQuitty wouldn't you choose another name for your business?

This morning I was shopping for gobs of Easter candy for the boys at Wal-Mart, which B. and I have re-named China-Mart. In the aisle with all the Easter goodies, there was a rack of pocket New Testaments in Easter colors. I picked one up to look at it, turned it over and discovered that it was manufactured in China. So it's illegal to own a Bible there, but it's okay to make them. Classic. If they're not capitalists, then I don't know who qualifies for the label anymore.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Um, what, might a vaginatarian be? I'm afraid to ask?

Nina said...

I too am afraid to ask. I'm fairly certain it must be one of the nastiest bumper stickers I've ever seen. It made me laugh because I couldn't imagine someone actually putting such a thing on their truck!