Sunday, January 24, 2010

Tears

Historically speaking, I haven't been much for crying. Years can go by. I can be sad, upset, or depressed, but the tears don't really come. Sometimes, yes. But more often than not...not.

But this pregnancy has changed all of that. I started crying before I even knew I was pregnant. I couldn't figure out what exactly was wrong with me. And then...well...then I found out. So now I am undone by things, big and small. I cry and cry. One of my dear friends says that she is grateful to this little fellow for enabling me to cry. She suggested that perhaps when he grows up, he will be the kind of person that others will feel safe to cry with. A lovely thought. I hope he is that kind of person.

I really love Guster's music, and the other day my husband realized that the song "Two at a Time" is a song referring to Noah and the flood. He showed me the lyrics and played the song. Here are a few of the lyrics:

Once upon a time,
For the Lord the skies they parted;
So a few must die
To bring us back to where we started.

CHORUS:
Two at a time,
Two at a time,
Two at a time,
Two at a time,
Do what you're told.

Each and every kind were gathered up,
This tiny boat - the future of the world.
For those that drowned, it made no sense;
They should have known, because we told them so.

I listened to the song and read the words...and cried. I'm not even sure why. Except for the fact that it had been a terrible week. I was feeling vulnerable and tired, and those lyrics broke my heart somehow. I thought of those animals, innocent of the wickedness that plagued mankind, and how they had to die anyway. I thought of the way that God devised a great plan -- the future of the world in a tiny boat. A great plan, yes, but loss and death were an inescapable part of it.

Suffering, loss, and redemption, an endless cycle, and the tears just kept coming.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

I don't really know what to say other than I am sorry you've had a terrible week and yes, pain and loss are an inescapable part of life. it's the part I know right now. I'm hoping to get acquainted with redemption before too long...

Nina said...

I hope you're acquainted with redemption before too long too.

I'm not sure why those lyrics had that effect on me. I think it was just the idea that such a cycle had been going on for so long, and all those innocent animals and their lost lives. What can I say? Apparently I'm just an emo basket case lately!

peaj said...

Nina, please be kind to yourself. Your body is an amazing and wonderful hormone factory right now, so it is to be expected that the emotional balance is a little different.

Your post made me think of how some people can look at the pain and loss of life, or of a story in the Bible, and their response is to take offense at God or the concept of Him. "If that is what God is like, then I'll not believe in Him/follow Him," they'll say. Yet I believe that most pain is not God's fault. But the amzing thing is that God's main plan of redemption involved Him taking the pain Himself and letting us off the hook. Wow.

Nina said...

Peaj, yes, you're right...and I am actually working on being kind to myself.

And I totally agree with you...I guess what broke my heart in those lyrics is how heartbreaking the loss of all those people (wicked, yes, but still loved) and animals must have been to God.

Emily said...

I am normally a crier, a fact that really irritates me, but pregnant? Forget it! I cried at commercials! It would feel good to me if I could just shut off the waterworks... does it feel good to cry, or not so much?