Saturday, April 18, 2009

Opening Day

Opening day. Sunny and 72 degrees. A Little League parade. Two baseball games. What more can you ask for?

Here's a poem I wrote a few years ago after my oldest played in his first little league all-star game -- the pinnacle of a boyhood dream come true. His first at bat, a ball hit down the left-field line. Some people take pictures; I write poems. Without the poem, I would have forgotten the joy of it by now.


In July’s thick heat
you taught me
the shape of hope
is a boy of ten
set
in the batter’s box

it is the swing of a bat
a body unfurled
for one breath
extended

it is the arc
of a ball over third
and your expectant face
upturned

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love that you capture moments in poetry. So beautiful, Nina. Thanks for sharing it.

peaj said...

That's pretty sweet. Made me smile.

Nina said...

Thanks guys. I'm glad it gave you a smile.