Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Fine Art of Distraction

Sometimes it's the small things that can lift your spirits or help you forget how cranky or blue you're feeling. Here are some things that almost always make me feel better:

1. Wind. The other evening I took the dog for a walk in the wind, and I felt so much better. This has always worked for me. The sound of the wind rushing in my ears drowns out the thoughts in my head and just helps me forget whatever needs to be forgotten. At least for a while.

2. The right movie. When I am stressed or miserable or depressed, sometimes a romantic comedy can do the trick. Notting Hill. You've Got Mail. Music & Lyrics. That kind of thing. Nothing that requires me to do much thinking. And nothing that would ever make me feel worried, stressed, or sad. Those movies are for other times.

3. "Reality" TV. This is always a homerun if I'm feeling badly about myself. For instance, lately my ongoing battle with feeling like I'm failing has been rearing its ugly head. Now, one could argue that I should meet this head on and deal with the issues that are causing me to feel that way. Or, I could just watch Wife Swap and instantly feel a whole lot better.

4. Walking the dog. Even if it's not windy. Another great way to empty my brain and think about other things. Like birds or flowers or trees, which always make me feel better.

5. Getting lost in a good book. This works when I can find a good book. And lately I just can't. I take out millions of books from the library. Read 50, 75, 100 pages, but then I just don't care about the world the author has created. It's just not worth the effort. I stop reading, and the book goes back to the library -- hopefully before I start racking up fines.

I'm feeling pretty fine at the moment (other than the aforementioned feelings of failure), so I'm not certain what got me thinking about this. I guess I was thinking about someone else who I think could use a bit of distraction herself. Distraction can work for the minor things that plague my mind and heart, but it's a handy tool during the worst of times too. The show 24 started soon after my mom died. I was instantly hooked. Still am, but that's another story.

Do you try to distract yourself when you're feeling sad or angry or worried? What works for you?

8 comments:

Jessica said...

"Now, one could argue that I should meet this head on and deal with the issues that are causing me to feel that way. Or, I could just watch Wife Swap and instantly feel a whole lot better."

LOL.

my welcome distractions:
writing music, writing, performing, exercising, walking outside, listening to music, SOMETIMES cleaning

Nina said...

Jess -- Cleaning works for me too. I meant to list that one. You have very productive distractions. I wish that all of mine (or any, besides cleaning) were that productive.

peaj said...

I've gotten annoyed with my ability to distract myself rather than deal with things. Distracting myself started as a way to ignore the voice in my head that says that I'm worthless. It helped me get through a tough time when the wife was depressed and I couldn't help her. But now I feel like a lot of life is just a pursuit of distraction.

So if you need any more ideas, let me know.

That said, tech stuff, for those so inclined, make for great distraction, for they lend themselves to "fiddling." For example, sometimes I think that I mess with my blog's layout more often than I actually post something. I'll also do stuff like customize my desktop.

But my most frequent distractions are watching TV, followed by web surfing and leaving comments on blogs. I do also read (fiction only - nonfiction is too real).

merry said...

I generally don't distract myself. I generally wallow by rolling around on the floor crying and drooling and saying,"my life suuuuuucks". I honestly cannot distract myself when I am upset. It simply eats at me until I tell one of my pep talkers that I need them( Mike, Darby, Mom, Elizabeth) and they will tell me everything will be fine. I believe them.

Nina said...

Peaj -- I know what you mean. Distracting yourself can be useful, but it's not good to live that way -- and it's easy enough to. And tech stuff -- well, I can see how that would fit the bill.

Merry -- That's interesting that you can't distract yourself. Perhaps it's for the best. At least you can't really avoid your feelings.

Jessica said...

Wait-I forgot to list reading-that's one of my favorite distractions ever!!! When I was little, if I got sad or mad or upset I would read Cinderella and it made me feel better every time.

She's my favorite princess to this day because of that.

Emily said...

We are very similar when it comes to our distractions... I could watch You've got Mail every other day, I think. My problem is that I get obsessed with my book, I throw myself into it, I ignore everyone around me (with 2 year olds and an infant, this can be a problem), and when I am done, I feel bereft. Running around outside with the munchkins is better for me, although it requires a little more effort!

Nina said...

Emily, I love the word bereft. I often feel that way when I finish a good book..