Saturday, September 27, 2008

Confessions of a News Junkie

I am an obsessive consumer of news. I cannot help it. And so, you can imagine that this is reaching epic proportions lately. In addiction parlance, I think I’m about to hit bottom. I watch the news in the morning; I feel disoriented without it. When my brain is desperate for an editing break, I read the news online. CNN. The New York Times. The Washington Post. NPR. BBC. I can’t get enough of it. I have to force myself to stop. When I’m driving, I listen to NPR. The boys beg for music; after the election, I say. I’m fairly certain most college journalism majors suffer from this condition. Some people even have it worse than I do.

Last night, we watched the debate. Had to. Truth be told, I was desperately hoping to see McCain put the nail in his own coffin so I can sleep easier each night before the election. Because this election is eating away at me, and I can’t wait for it to be over. I’d like to know now whether we’ll need to move to Canada so our sons won’t have to die in some unnecessary conflict because our elected leaders are so far from understanding diplomacy that they have us mired in conflicts around the globe. And that debate made it very clear: there is one candidate who truly understands the value of diplomatic efforts and the need to restore America’s standing around the globe. It was not just clear in what he said but in the way he conducted himself. And for that reason, among many, many others, I will be voting for Barack Obama this November. And frankly, I hope you will be too.

3 comments:

merry said...

First of all, I think my husband is speaking with your husband on the phone because he is speaking in a weird voice....that can only mean one thing. Secondly, I can't express how much I wish we could move to Canada. I wish I could win the lottery so I could get everyone that I love out of this country. Thirdly, perhaps this is close minded but frankly, I can't imagine anyone being able to say anything to me that would justify keeping the republicans in the white house.

Nina said...

Darling Meredith, I am so pleased that you agree with me. I sure hope you're registered to vote, especially considering the state you live in. And as for the funny voice...you were right on the money.

Jessica said...

Yes, I agree: the republicans have had their chance for a WHILE now and need to move over and let the democrats in the white house...This country needs a change, for sure.

I can't imagine how people could vote McCain, and barely know anybody who will...But I am also hanging in very liberal circles lately...

And yeah, I need to make sure I am registered to vote--esp. since it will be absentee and maybe that is even trickier.