Thursday, September 18, 2008

Not Quite the Brady Bunch

I loved the Brady Bunch when I was a kid, and my kids love it now. They record it early each morning and watch it almost every afternoon. Do you remember the episode where Marcia draws a picture in school and is busted for it because a nasty comment about a teacher is written above the drawing?

Well, last week I got a call from the elementary school principal. Let's just say it's not the first call I've ever received from her. She said, "I just wanted to let you know that I had your son in the office today with a classmate because a student told us that they were drawing inappropriate pictures of teachers."

Of course, the word inappropriate set alarm bells off in my head. What?! But in my calm voice, I said, "What exactly did he draw?" She said, "A cyclops." I'm still not sure how I contained my laughter.

That night I asked Son3 who he'd drawn as a cyclops. The headmaster of the school, of course (who also happens to be teaching one class -- fifth grade math). "Who told on you?" I asked. I had to know. Son3 named the classmate (we'll call him John) and then did his best nerd imitation (something he and his brother have perfected over the past few months) and said: "John said, 'I talked to the Lord about it and I felt that you and Jordan were drawing disrespectful pictures.'" This time I didn't bother to contain my laughter. That's Christian school for you.

Of course, in the Brady Bunch episode, Marcia drew the picture but it was a classmate who wrote the problematic comment. Far be it from Marcia to actually do something worthy of punishment.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

hahaha--you must have been relieved to hear that it was just a silly old cyclops and not truly something "innapropriate!"

And poor John--he must not have a ton of friends...

merry said...

yeah, I talked to the Lord and John is a dork.

Becky said...

that's hysterical. both what you wrote...and what merry wrote ;-)

Nina said...

I know. Merry made me laugh out loud.