Saturday, May 29, 2010

Miracle

Six weeks ago yesterday, Son4 arrived. And he is just wonderful. I am smitten with him -- fully and completely devoted to him. The funny thing is, I am not sure I have ever felt this way about a newborn before. To be honest, it always takes me some time to connect with a new baby. Emotionally, that is. But this is different. I feel so much freer. So much less concerned about the practical, caretaking things. So much less worried.

I don't remember whether I mentioned it here, but back in the fall someone told me that the baby could feel how much I didn't want another baby. The person implied that I was damaging the baby for life by feeling my own feelings. Anyway, I told her that the baby would get plenty of love when he or she arrived. And I was right.

An hour or so after Son4 was born, I called my dad to tell him the baby was here. He was overcome. He lives about ninety minutes away from us, and he said he'd leave in ten minutes and drive down to meet the baby. We asked him to pick up the boys and bring them to the hospital, which he was happy to do.

I wish I could show you my boys' faces when they got to the hospital to see their brother for the first time. They were captivated. Elated. After the boys had a chance to meet the baby, my dad came into the room and held him. We have pictures of the first time my dad and the boys held him. And they are wonderful pictures...but in my mind is a better picture: all of their eyes lit up with love and wonder.

There are times when I feel drunk with love looking at this little person. The way he arches his back and stretches when I pick him up. His hands splayed out in front of his face. His big toe, which he holds out from his other toes when he's contentedly drinking a bottle. (The bottles are another story for another post.) His long blond eyelashes. And his lips. I can't even talk about his lips. They are that delicious. They make me swoon.

He's a quiet guy. Doesn't really cry. The boy's name means bringer of peace, and he does feel like a little oasis of peace. It seems he has a little well of the stuff inside of him.

This whole baby thing still doesn't make sense. Why us? Why now? Why do we get this fabulous boy when so many people can't even have one baby? When others suffer with infertility, miscarriages, and stillbirths? Why have we received a gift -- a healthy baby boy -- when we weren't even looking for one? I don't have any answers. I am not in charge.

I do know that I'm not worried about all the things I was worried about before he got here. Once I made my peace with being pregnant, the only thing I could imagine about having another child was having a newborn. I couldn't picture any other phase of life without feeling panicked. And so I stopped imagining those other phases and just thought about a baby. But now that this baby is here, I don't feel panicked about him being a toddler. Or about any of those future phases -- because he's Son4, and I love him to death, and I want to see who he is and love him the whole way through.

For some reason the way this has all played out has had me thinking of a line from an Irish blessing. Here's the first stanza:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

I knew that my crazy pregnancy feelings weren't the end of the story. But I never expected this. I never expected that this new little fellow could be so wonderful. Really. That probably sounds terrible, and maybe it is terrible...but I just wasn't ready to be a mom again. But now that I am...well, I feel like the road has risen to meet me.

6 comments:

Becca said...

Welcome back.
Funny-- that is exactly the feeling I got when I met him. I was baby drunk. On a high. In love. Baby buzzin. I was overcome by a sense of stillness, as if he is already filled with the Spirit. I have never been so content to just be.
And.... I cannot wait to see what specific plan is in store for him. Jeremiah 29:11 is renewed in my mind because of my time spent with your youngest son. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future."

Jessica said...

I love this post. How beautiful. How magical. How right and inexplicable.

So happy for you, Nina:)

Thinking Out Loud said...

Great post, Nina, I love it...it was so lovely to see you at the picnic! I am so happy for you, what a sweet little buddy you have there!

How awesome is God?! He is so cool to bless us in ways we could never imagine...why, it's almost like he loves us or something!!

Kathie

Michele said...

I am so happy for you Nina! How wonderful to be in love :) May you rest in his peace (and His peace) all the days ahead :)

Emily said...

oh, baby lips! of course, I know that his little lips are specifically magical. How delightful!

It is wonderful that he has brought you such peace.

Nina said...

Thanks everyone! :) ...And Emily, yes, here's to baby lips! So smoochable.