Friday, August 28, 2009

Searching for Some Equilibrium

This month my husband and I celebrated our twentieth anniversary. And a few days before that wonderful day, we made the shocking and unexpected discovery that we are expecting a baby.

Now that I've made this little announcement I may be able to get back to blogging and also the business of reading people's blogs. We'll see. I'm trying to climb my way out of this alternate universe I seem to have fallen into. I'm just not quite myself these days.

To be honest, this is not exactly what I was planning for the next eighteen years of my life. Not by a longshot. But apparently God was planning it. I'm fairly certain He's been getting a good chuckle for years now every time we've made any mention of our future plans.

And if I'm being really honest -- and apparently I am -- I will tell you that I cried when I told my husband the pregnancy test results. And he, very kindly, took a glass of water out of the kitchen cabinet, filled it half full of water, and set it down on the counter. He looked at me, looked at the glass, and then drank the whole thing. Then he said, "That's the best half-full cup of water that I've ever had." It was the best thing he could have said...and then I cried some more.

That was a few weeks ago. I've stopped crying, though I still feel off balance. I cannot think of the specifics of the future. I know when this little person arrives, we will love him or her (please HER!) with all our hearts. Our lives will change, and that won't be the big deal that it seems like right now. The truth is that right now I probably care more about myself and my goals then I do about this person...but it will not be that way much longer. Soon I will care more about this person than about myself, and our lives will flow together, and it will all be good. So much better than good.

12 comments:

Emily said...

NINA!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!

wow. I have to say, I was terrified, and refused to discuss the possibility of another baby, when I had suspicions of the life that is now Jude.... and Dan was amazing. He reassured me, and told me how happy he was. that is, when I finally decided to talk about it with him. Thank God for good husbands. And sincerely, congratulations, that is crazy and wonderful news.

oh, and I have a couple of highly available little girls over here, if you ever want to borrow them.

Emily said...

and Happy Anniversary! 20 years is an incredible milestone.

peaj said...

Congratulations, certainly.

But really, what I feel right now is such a deep respect and awe and love for you guys. You two are a great couple, and great parents, and I am so moved that you will make room in your lives for this little latecomer. I know that you will, and you will find a special sort of joy with this one that will benefit from your wisdom and goodness.

We love you guys. Let us know how we can love you.

peaj said...

I hope that my "congratulations, certainly" doesn't sound like I'm not excited for you guys. I was really excited for you when I first heard the news, but it has been overtaken by this... awe.

Jessica said...

NINA!!!!! WOW!!!! THIS IS SO AMAZING!!!!! A NEW LITTLE TAYLOR IS FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

okay, I'll stop shouting now...but seriously, your family is so beautiful; you guys are terrific parents, how wonderful that another Taylor is coming into the world.

Are you going to find out the sex, you think? Or be surprised? And if you don't want to answer that at all, that's fine:)

Michele said...

Nina, I have already told you how happy I am for you! I agree with everyone who says you are wonderful people who will be wonderful parents to this new baby. I am joining you in prayer for a little girl, cause wouldn't that be fun? But I will definitely help you hold and love a little boy :)

BlogStalker said...

WOW. I must delurk for this, especially since I met you in person this summer. A mixture of terror and excitement would be what I would be feeling, with the hope that the excitement would eventually overtake the terror. My husband and I just celebrated our twentieth anniversary too, and I am really proud of it, because it was hard work getting there. So congratulations on more than one front, and prayers to you - Silk a.k.a. semi-anonymous a.k.a. the person who recently said to your husband "Judas Iscariot, your headlights are on."

Nina said...

Thank you everyone for all the congratulations, kind words, and encouragement. We need it...

And yes...this time we will find out the gender. We never have before, though I knew without a doubt on the first and third anyway. But this time we definitely want to know. Plus, because they consider me to be nearly ancient, they want me to have a million ultrasounds.

peaj said...

A million, huh? That's better than one every half hour of your pregnancy. You better get cracking.

Nina said...

Peaj, I've got my first one tomorrow. I'm working on it!

Carolyn said...

Bambino!!!
Congratulations!!
I've been thinking of you this week, and your first childbirth, since I've been hanging with my tiny niece, remembering that August (wasn't it August?) 15 years ago (wasn't it 15?) when Son1 came along. Wow! Time flies. How's that for an original statement.
I'm so happy for you.
Now I have to call you so we can chat sometime soon. Wow!
xoxo

Nina said...

Carolyn -- Your niece?!?! Did John and wife have a baby, or one of your step-sisters? And yes -- call! I've been thinking of you like crazy, but lost most of my contact info for people in a computer meltdown this spring.

You are right...fifteen years ago, we were spending a lot of days together wandering my Chicago neighborhood trying to get that baby to make his appearance!