Friday, July 31, 2009

Just Wondering

I saw a story on the news this morning about a seven-year-old Utah boy who took his parents' car on Sunday morning and drove it several miles around town. Needless to say, his erratic driving caught the attention of police and they tried to pull him over. He kept driving. He drove all the way home and then jumped out of the car and ran into his house to hide. Imagine the officers' surprise when a kid jumped out of the driver's seat. The boy has given two different reasons for his actions. First, he said he just didn't want to go to church. But later he told his parents that he just wanted to try driving.

Now, I'm wondering...if your seven-year-old son took your car out for a joy ride, would you:

A. Ground him for four days and then take him to New York City to appear on the Today Show?
B. Ground him for almost forever and not allow him any attention for his misbehavior?

Just curious.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

that is so dangerous; he could have been killed or killed someone else. I say ground him. Forever.

Nina said...

I agree. FOR-EV-ER.

peaj said...

Which is more important: your own fame and fortune (because you know that the Today Show paid), or your child's long term health?

But, I know that they didn't frame it that way. Because we are so good at rationalizing, they probably told themselves that they could and would make the effort to counteract the negative lesson that the trip to the Today Show gave, for the sake of the money involved.

merry said...

I would choose C. Beat his butt. JK. Bad parenting. Don't mean to judge but...c'mon.

Michele said...

I would ground him forever, but if some sort of television appearance were offered, I would take the money and spend it all on myself!