Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Observed

Yesterday while driving the boys home from school, I saw this bumper sticker:
If you think UNDER GOD should be removed from the pledge, then get out of the USA and GO TO HELL.

I laughed out loud. I happened to notice the bumper sticker while we were waiting at a traffic light next to the Extreme Food & Gas Mart. Which is always good for a chuckle.

Here are a few more observations I've made recently:

1. Recently I noticed a septic service truck with these three adjectives describing their services: Reliable, Reasonable, Competent. I can understand reliable and reasonable, but...competent? I hope they're more competent at septic servicing than they are at marketing. Which they probably are. Word nerd that I am, I had to look up competent just because it seemed such a poor word choice for this usage. Webster's definition is "Having requisite or adequate ability or qualities." Like I said. If I had a septic system, I'd be looking for a little more than competence.

2. Someone who shops at my local grocery store has this bumper sticker: Vegetarian -- Indian word for bad hunter. I'm a vegetarian, and that always gives me a laugh.

3. Before Easter I saw a handpainted sign on my way to the boys' school. It said: Easter flowers ahead. Git 'R Done. Somehow I don't think that had been expressed just like that before.

I don't know if David Letterman still does his thing with signs, headlines, and such because I haven't watched him in years. So I need a fix: Do you have any humorous bumper stickers or signs to share?

6 comments:

peaj said...

The ones I like are

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?and

Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.Depending on your mood, this one can be ghastly or hilarious. I currently find it hilarious.

And, irreverent, but I find this one cute:

Jesus Christ saves sinners and redeems them for valuable prizes.

Nina said...

Those are really funny, Peaj. The Jesus one takes the cake.

merry said...

My favorite bumper sticker ever is

WWJD...for a klondike bar.

Nina said...

Merry, that's hilarious. I would love to see it on someone's car.

Brian Taylor, Cr. Dir. Pneuma Books said...

One of may favorites is a thin white sticker with black block letters that says Bumper Sticker

Here's one I'd like to create: "My son made honor roll and will visit your kid in lock-up"

peaj said...

Ooh, catty! I like it, Brian!