Monday, March 23, 2009

Ten Things about Today

Today I saw a bluebird perched on a speed limit sign. It made me smile.

Today when I was practically running through Wal-Mart, tossing things like bread, bagels, and Nutri-grain bars (yuck!) into my cart, I happened to notice a box of Asian Helper alongside the Hamburger Helper. I nearly laughed out loud. I bought neither.

Today I did laugh out loud while I sat in my car, opening the mail. (We have to go to the post office -- Mayberry style -- to get our mail). I laughed out loud at the absurdity of the letter we received from my husband's health insurance company. Starting next month his premium will increase by $150 a month to a whopping $600/month. TMI? Oh well, in case any of you lovely readers of this blog think massive healthcare reform isn't needed, I am here to tell you unequivocally that it is.

Today I heard a reporter on CNN say, "...most of them anyways." Anyways?

Today it is in the forties and windy and we discovered that we will have to buy another cord of wood to make it until the warm weather arrives.

Today I am wearing my most uncomfortable pair of jeans because all of my comfy jeans have ripped and shredded. I can't wait until I can put on my comfy sweatpants. I think I need to go shopping for some better jeans.

Today we received an email informing us that our oldest son is going to be inducted into the National Honor Society next week.

Today I am praying and hoping, praying and hoping, praying and hoping that Son2 will make it a whole week without a migraine. If he hasn't gotten one by the time he wakes up tomorrow morning, then it will be a week -- the longest stretch without a migraine in months. This will truly be a miracle.

Today I heard a new Joshua Radin song, "Sky," on the radio. I enjoyed it. I also heard a Tori Amos cover of "I don't like Mondays," and I didn't enjoy that (despite the fact that I do, generally, enjoy Tori Amos).

Today I worked on editing a children's picture book manuscript but didn't get it finished. Rrgg.

Days are made of such wonderful and such mundane moments. Tell me about some of your today moments.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Today I said goodbye to my daughter until Easter. Today I drove 7 1/2 hours from NC to DE. Today I got to pet my cat and give her kisses. Today my husband called to make sure I arrived home safely. Today I read a good friends blog and was saddened by the increase in her health care and the ridiculously short time that is also ridiculously great that her son has not had a migraine.

Jessica said...

Today I found out that, to add my husband to my fantastic health insurance that I get through my acting union, I would have to add $1,745 quarterly to the mere $100 a quarter that I currently pay.

I asked them if anyone EVER puts their spouses on this insurance.

I am wondering if free clinic's are really so bad...

Nina said...

That's the spirit, Michele. Thanks for telling me your today moments. And he did make it exactly one week, but not really one second longer than that...

Jess, that's insane. He's a young guy! The crazy thing about B's insurance is that it's HORRIBLE, and has a really high deductible. The insurance premium for the boys and I adds up to a little less each month than he's currently paying for his...and ours is better. Then, the other day, we realized that his insurer is owned by AIG. Ugh! No wonder they raised the premium!

Becky said...

Today I am reading your March 23rd blogpost. Today I'm behind on many other things as well.

Today the Word Verification for entering this comment is "subsumvi". I'm wondering if that's some subliminal way of telling me I need to be less overbearing in some aspect of my life.

Today I put on my belt and had to losen it yet one more notch.

Today I get to see a wonderful person who helps me clear my head and sort out the idiosynchrosies of my ridiculous life.

Today I woke to a not so nice letter in my mailbox.

As for S2 and the migraines...delighted he made it a week. Also wonderful that S1 is being inducted into the NHS. Wow!

Nina said...

Beck -- sounds like some of your today moments weren't so great...rrggg...