Thursday, December 18, 2008

Success, of sorts

Well, I've learned a few things in the past several weeks, which is always good. The most important thing is simply this: this story's time has not yet come. Writing habits are one thing, but if your story is still brewing, important ideas still coming, then it may not be quite time to hit the keyboard in earnest. This is not to say that plenty of ideas, even important ones, won't make themselves known once I'm writing lots of pages. I am counting on the fact that they will. But...the ideas that are helping me construct this world, this society, are not all in my head, and until they are it's just putting the cart before the horse.

Just today another piece of this novel presented itself to me. It came as a great surprise while Son2 and I were visiting the National Christmas Museum. (Very cool place BTW.) The idea comes from a German Christmas myth, and it's just what I needed for my story -- but I didn't know that until I stumbled upon it. I love that. Happy little accidents.

I think my quest to write more consistently and my frustration with not doing so has just been a huge trap, making me feel like a failure, when really I'm doing the work. Quite honestly, I've been feeling like I've been letting God down when I haven't been writing. This could sound crazy to some of you, but perhaps not to all of you. Last January (as I surely wrote about somewhere on this blog) I felt like God told me to give this story a little water and a little sunlight each day. And somehow I turned that into write five pages a day, or well, please, at least one. But I haven't been able to do that, and now I see that my frustration is unwarranted. This story needs my attention...but it isn't actually asking to be written yet. I still don't have enough information. And all my attempts at writing page after page have only been increasing my doubts about my own abilities.

So, with all of this nonsense behind me, I'm actually excited about writing this story again. The pressure's off. I'll work on it each day and watch out for happy little accidents. I'm sure I'll know when to start writing in earnest. In the meantime, there's another story I may take a crack at. This one takes place in the real world, so it's a completely different endeavor. And...I think if I can successfully get down to work with this one, it will give me confidence when it comes down to actually writing this fantasy novel.

I have missed writing here and reading your blogs...so I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Yay, Nina is back! I'm so glad you've given yourself some grace on your project. And I'm also glad that God is honoring your honesty by showing you new bits and pieces (like the one you discovered at the museum). I look forward to your future posts:) Be blessed my friend.

merry said...

Yeah, my best work comes when I actually feel like writing a song or something. I will sit down and it usually just pours out. Or I will be driving and a little diddy will pop into my head. i need to get a little tap recorder to catch the diddies before they run away.

Nina said...

Merry -- get the tape recorder! I love your songs.