Saturday, December 20, 2008

Riding Lions

The other morning my youngest son came into the kitchen and asked me whether we'd be able to talk to animals in heaven. I, of course, said yes -- not to humor him but because I truly believe that. He was happy with my answer.

Then he told me that when he gets to heaven and sees a lion, he's going to say, "What's up?" and then try to juke out the lion. When the lion catches him, he'll give him a hug, jump on his back for a ride, and then come to find me so I can see him riding a lion. This little bit of news made my heart leap.

I am reaching the end of those years when I am my sons' number-one. It is a marvelous thing -- the adoration a mother receives from her boys. There is nothing like it, but I don't think it lasts forever. Some day, each of my boys will give his heart forever to a girl...and if he should want to show off his lion-riding abilities, it will likely be to her and not to me. That's how it should be, but for now I'm happy to enjoy all the adoration they care to send my way.

No comments: