Friday, August 8, 2008

Reading and Writing (not!)

I recently finished Unaccustomed Earth, a collection of stories by Jumpha Lahiri. Everything about it was perfect. She's one of those writers who I wish was much further along in her career because I'd like there to be a great backlog of books to read. Oh well. I''ll just have to wait a year or two or three for the next one.

I love to discover great writers I haven't read before. I think sometimes that reading can be a bit like gorging yourself -- but mostly without the guilt, unless you're reading when you should be working. And when you find a writer and discover you adore their writing, then it's so much fun to go back and read all their books. That way you can avoid that slightly depressed feeling that can come after you finish a truly great book. Of course, only true reading geeks know just what that feels like.

I've been trying to read some children's/YA fantasy lately -- something, anything to sort of inspire me to get back to the work of writing -- but it's just not working. I can't get into anything. It feels like work and not joy. And I am not writing. I think I sort of surrendered the summer. A lot of work to do. And just the work of summer -- helping the boys have a good one, that is. And the lack of a stable routine. But who am I kidding? The school year, which starts in two weeks, is going to be tricky too. Working. Homeschooling. The demands of school and sports and all the back and forth. And somehow, some way, I must set aside a time to write each day, otherwise this whole thing will just go down the drain. And it would be so easy to let that happen. I'm busy enough to pretend that would be no big deal.

Perhaps I should drown my sorrows in a good book. Suggestions anyone?

3 comments:

merry said...

Interpreter of Maladies was fantastic. I know you read that already. I completely understand that let down after you read the last page of a good book. Sometimes I won't read the last couple of pages just to not be done a book I love. Sad but true. I miss the book club horribly.

Becky said...

I'm sure it will be different to add the extra juggling ball of homeschooling and also try to write each day. At the same time, I think you and boy no. 2 will gain so much by not having the stress of going to school in the mix for him. I imagine it will bring much relief to everyone. That's my hope and prayer. And you may even find that you have more energy and time than expected.

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.