Sunday, August 19, 2012

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

The whole concept of respect has been brewing in my mind lately due to the destructive political discourse on Facebook. There is so little respect for others to be found there. People think they have things all figured out: I'm right. You're wrong. You're an idiot for being wrong, and I'm going to show you just what an idiot you are for holding the "wrong" political beliefs.

I get it. I really do. I often think Republicans are idiots. Woops. Did I say that? See, disrespect is easy to slip into, and it doesn't help that sometimes people leave themselves open for potshots: people like the Republican candidate for Senate from Missouri who thinks that pregnancy can't happen in the case of "real rape." Really? Is this the twenty-first century where we have scientific facts at our disposal?

But back to respect. Lately I've been having a lot of discussions with Son2 about politics and life. He's a philosophical fifteen-year-old with lots of questions and thoughts. He enjoys discussing politics, and so that's what we were doing one recent summer morning while I was cleaning up the kitchen. We were discussing the national debt and I was explaining how Republicans like to say they are for "small government." He understood the terminology from watching TV news and from his freshman Civics course. I went on to explain how I find it ironic how Republicans like to wax on about small government while at the same time they want the government to dictate whether or not you can get an abortion or marry your same-sex partner. Now, I'm not trying to get into a discussion or debate about either of those hot topics, but what I am saying is that I wish people would talk straight. Acknowledge that you're only for "small government" in some circumstances. Acknowledge that you actually want the government to dictate (or restrict) some people's life choices. Now I realize the government actually does this all the time. The government has restricted my right to murder you or steal from you. Indeed I have no right to do either, as I shouldn't because that would seriously hurt your rights.

The issue came up again with Son2 a few days later, in a completely different way. We had stopped at Dunkin Donuts and after the boys got back in the car with their goodies, a man approached the car asking for money. I opened the window and gave him a few dollars. Now, it's been a long time since I've given a homeless person money -- partly because I rarely have opportunity to do so since it's far from urban around here. As we drove home, Son2 said, "I don't think you should have given him money. He's probably just going to buy alcohol or drugs with it." I told him I understood where he was coming from, and that I have often bought (or at least offered to buy and been refused) people food when they've asked me for money. Or I've directed them to the nearest place for a free meal. But I explained I wanted to give this guy money, and couldn't I just give him the respect of allowing him to make his own decision about how to spend it? He's homeless. He's probably mentally ill. He has very few choices left to him. Can't I give him three dollars and allow him to decide what to do with it?

My question for myself and for Son2 and for all of us is this: at what point will we acknowledge the right and freedom of others to make decisions for themselves--even when we think those decisions are immoral or simply unwise? Hasn't God actually given all of us humans that freedom? Hasn't he given us the respect of endowing us with our own will -- to decide for ourselves all manner of issues?

As I grow older I feel less and less inclined to try to make choices for others or to tell them what to do. What do I know anyway? I have made good choices and bad ones. But all of my choices have ultimately been good teachers.

Respect. Can't we have a little? Can't I allow you to be a Republican and just tell myself that you hold these beliefs because you believe they really are best for you and for everyone? Can't I respect that? And can't you respect me in that same way when I vote for Obama in November? I will make my choice, and you will make yours. Just please, stop trying to make decisions for me and stop bashing me over the head with your hyped up political rhetoric on a public forum like Facebook.

This has been a public service announcement.

3 comments:

merry said...

Standing ovation. Thank you for reaching in to my head and pulling out my thoughts and then plopping them down in your blog.

Nina said...

Thanks Merry!

peaj said...

Yeah...

Me no like political polemic on Facebook, either.

Theologically, I believe that the church is not supposed to try and pretty up the world's morals for our comfort, a la 2 Corinthians 5. However, I appreciate that some feel that since they are in a position to affect laws (either through the vote or by influencing their elected representatives) that they should strive to create laws that reflect God's morals.

However, what frustrates me is that what I consider to be close to God's heart - compassion, love, generosity, not torturing people, not waging endless war on the world, not giving to the wealthy and powerful at the expense of the powerless - doesn't even seem to enter into the debate.

I think that people have gotten nasty at the leading of their political parties as a means to cover up their unwillingness to address the huge issues that neither major party wants to address.

My solution is to absent myself from participation.