Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Book Recommendation

I just finished a great book -- Song Yet Sung by James McBride. Since I was whining about books a few months ago, I thought it would be nice if I actually passed a recommendation along. I won't tell you anything about it -- mainly because I should be working, not blogging -- but I will tell you that about thirty or forty pages into it, I nearly gave up on it. It seemed a little...weird. Some strange characters speaking in a strange code (in the story, the code is used by slaves to communicate vital information). But it was worth hanging in there. Check it out if you're looking for something great to read. The fact that the story is set on Maryland's Eastern Shore made it all the more interesting.

Next up for me: The Heretic's Daughter, a story told from the perspective of a ten-year-old girl whose mother is tried as a witch in the Salem witch trials. If it's great, I'll let you know.

2 comments:

merry said...

the heretic's daughter sounds fun!

Mary said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've had this book on my shelf since I bought it on Maryland's Eastern Shore this summer. Since I was traveling in the places McBride described, buying the book seemed like a good idea. But one chapter in, I thought it was a little too weird and found excuses for not reading it. So it sits on a shelf, surrounded by other orphan books I should read.
It's time to look at it again.