Tuesday, February 24, 2009

School (sigh)

Yesterday my youngest was home from school. Sick. Again. While he lay on the couch blowing his nose, he said, "I'm glad I'm not at school. Mrs. Jones never lets us get more than one tissue per class."

WHAT?

As a parent, this is the kind of tidbit that can put you over the edge. I mean, seriously? When your nose is running like a faucet, you're only allowed to get up one time per class period for a tissue? (And I should mention that at the beginning of the school year each student has to provide several boxes of tissues -- along with many other supplies -- for the class to use throughout the year.)

I understand it's tough to be a teacher. Classroom control can be a big issue, but wouldn't it be better to risk the loss of "control" for the sake of germ control? I'm fairly certain that students wiping their noses on their hands and sleeves is not in the CDC guidelines.

Have I mentioned that Mrs. Jones reminds me of Angela from The Office?

And speaking of The Office...here's another little school tale for you. Son1 was recently chastised by his foreign language teacher for using the word retarded. I guess the class was nearly over and the students were allowed to talk quietly with each other -- and that's when the offending word was used. He was taken to task for it, and rather than simply saying, "Yes, Mrs. Smith, I apologize for using that word," a discussion ensued. And eventually he explained his position by quoting Michael from The Office: "I'd never call a retard, a retard." Ugh. I assure you that when he told me about that, I did not feel an ounce of pride. (Though I may have laughed out loud, just from the surprise of it. Yup. I think I did. Which was definitely a mistake. Definitely.) Not my proudest parenting moment by a longshot.

3 comments:

Michele said...

Give child his own box of tissues! But I know how you feel - ridiculous rules! And don't worry about feeling like a bad parent - sometimes you just HAVE to laugh!

Jessica said...

Oh man, Drew and I quote Michael Scott and Dwight Schrute a lot...And yes, some rules are ridiculous. If a child needs a tissue, he should be able to get a tissue!

merry said...

Are they allowed to have a box of tissues at their desk? I would be infuriated if I was not allowed to have more than one tissue per class. Sometimes having your nose running is torture. I would really have to discuss that retarded policy with the teacher.

Clearly, I use the word retarded all of the time.