Monday, October 1, 2007

Reading...

I'm approaching the end of A Thousand Splendid Suns. It is completely devastating. I don't love it for the writing. Definitely not. But as a window into a different culture, it is illuminating. I already knew that as a woman I was thankful to be born in 20th century America. This book confirms it. If you're a woman and you're feeling a bit depressed about your life, this novel just might provide a necessary dose of perspective.

I'm also reading the YA novel Sold about a young girl sold into the sex trade in India. I'm a fan of YA novels; well, some anyway. (More on that later.) It's what I want to write, so I guess it makes sense that it's what I want to read. They're always easily devoured. This one is written in an interesting style. No "chapter" is longer than two or three pages. Some are just a few lines. All are topical although they also propel the novel forward in time.

I'd say more, but I'd rather finish reading one of these books.

2 comments:

merry said...

If you start writing YA books I will be your biggest fan.

Nina said...

Just don't turn all Kathy Bates in Misery on me. Actually, I like the idea of having a fan -- hopefully someday I'll accomplish something worthy of your devotion.